» Site Navigation

» Find Us On

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Styrofoam Cups? What?s wrong with Dunkin Donuts?

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Styrofoam Cups? What's wrong with Dunkin Donuts?

Remember when McDonald’s stopped using Styrofoam containers? This was a big win for the environment.
    But there are still some major offenders. Dunkin Donuts and their styrofoam cups add millions of styrofoam cups to landfills everyday. In December of 2004 Fast Company reported that Dunkin Donuts was serving over 2.8 Million cups a day.
    Styrofoam cups also have potential health hazards. Styrene is transferred from the cups into your coffee. The health affects are not fully known at this time but adding chemicals to your food and drinks is usually not a good idea.
    So what can you do?
    • Avoid/boycott places that use styrofoam.
    • Use a refillable cup. Most places will give you a discount for bringing your own cup.
    I used to get coffee from Dunkin Donuts almost everyday. I bought one of the refillable cups and used it for about a year. The refill price was almost half the price of a regular cup. They jacked the refill price up and I abandoned ship and went to Starbucks. I reuse their paper cups and get $0.55 refills. If I rinse and dry the cup right away I can make it about a week on one paper cup before it starts to leak.
    So not only can you save some money but you can help make the earth a better place to live for future generations at the same time!

More...

Another big offender is Chick-fil-A. If you're not familiar, their nuggets and waffle fries are dynamite, but they still use styrofoam cups.

After reading this blog I'm inspired to write an email to Chick-fil-A and get their perspective on the issue.

Blog Entries

That's an interesting perspective on the blog. I find it hard to believe that a styrofoam cup is better than a paper one with all the chemicals that go into the styrofoam cup. When I go sailing in the Caribbean the trash that washes up on the beaches (the ones the tourists don't see) is almost always some form of plastic or styrofoam. I can't recall ever seeing a paper cup that's washed up on the beach because in nature they biodegrade so fast. I wonder how the two cups actually compare in the landfill environment.

I definitely would be interested to hear what Chick-fil-A's take on the subject is.

The best option by far is still to use a refillable cup and prevent any cup from ending up in a landfill regardless of whether is paper, styrofoam or plastic.

Our company, with three hundred people, provides styrofoam cups for coffee. At my suggestions, the company gave out coffee mug for each employee and encourage them use the mug instead. The mug is green and has letters on it, xxx go Green.

Blog Entries

That's a great idea! I'm going to see if my company will do that.

Blog Entries

Default It's amazing.

I'm still baffled that even at this day and age and with all that we know, there are companies out there that will operate (and profit) from using non eco-friendly materials.

Here in Canada, Tim Horton's is the biggie, and they use paper cups. However, they still go into the trash, even though we have blue boxes (for plastic, glass, and cans), grey boxes (for cardboard, paper and *clean* styrofoam) and green boxes (organic materials, as well as soiled cardboard and yard trimmings). Their cups are coated in wax or plastic, and make them unsuitable for any of our recycled boxes.

Reusable cups are absolutely the way to go.

Blog Entries

Default I agree

Reusable cups would be nice but corporations love of the almighty dollar prevents it.

great idea!

FYI - Dunkin has a Facebook page. Social media like FB, Twitter, etc are THE hot topic in marketing and PR circles and Dunkin is on top of it. I suspect if enough people grouse about the foam cup issue in FB and Twitter, they may end up doing something about it. Just my two cents worth.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast