» Site Navigation

» Find Us On

Thread: Should bottled water be banned? Here's what i think

Default Should bottled water be banned? Here's what i think

I have mixed views on this subject.
    As a bleeding heart liberal I don't believe in the banning of anything. I believe that through education you can persuade most people to do the right thing.

However, I also believe that most people don't give a damn about the earth or what type of a legacy we will be leaving for future generations.

So I've got mixed feelings and I want to know how you feel about this major issue.

You should know that our family no longer purchases bottled water (except when there are no other choices or when it makes sense) and have taken other steps to reduce, reuse and recycle when ever possible.

I never buy bottled water unless I'm on holiday in a country where they don't recommend you drink the tap water.
    For example, when I went to Tunisia we were told there were so many chemicals in the tap water to make it clean, that it might make us ill since we weren't used to it.

I personally don't see the point of bottled water unless the tap water isn't safe to drink.

I do not think that bottled water should be banned either. I think educating people is a great way to change behavior. On the other hand there are some people who just do not care.
    Kimberly Winston
    www.Greenlivingsavings.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2012GLS View Post
    I do not think that bottled water should be banned either. I think educating people is a great way to change behavior. On the other hand there are some people who just do not care.
    Definitely I agree with your opinion. I think spreading awareness among people about use of plastic related material & recycling is good way. Most of the population is not aware about the bad effects of plastic & how it is being used after use.

am i missing something, why would we not want to drink bottled water, it is natural spring water in most cases, surely thats better than drinking fizzy drinks and others

if recycled properly, i dont see a problem

A ban is a town or a place's act on something which they think can be damaging to the community. If there would be no ban on the usage of plastic bottles then only those who are really concern about the environment would do means to recycle or reduce the use of it. With a ban being in place, it would be mandatory to care for the environment to whom we owe a lot.

Just recently, Concord Massachusetts placed a ban on selling bottled water which are less than 1 liter. I think this is a good move as those little bottles plays a huge part in the waste we produce. Recycling is good but reduction of waste is even better. We not only helping by waste elimination but we also help by reducing fossil fuels in bottle production. -L.Schultz
    Last edited by lauraschultz01; 02-04-2013 at 07:41 PM.

bottled water should be taxed heavily
    each case should cost $10 or more and the money goes to make smarter recycling plants