» Site Navigation

» Find Us On

Thread: The Reason Why Plastic Bags are Bad

Default The Reason Why Plastic Bags are Bad

The grocery line inquiry of “Paper or plastic?” never used to involve so much thought, but now choosing a bag is not so simple. If you are like many people, you have no clue why there is such a backlash in the eco-conscious world against plastic bags. Many activists are pushing for banning plastic bags from being issued by grocery stores and other retailers. But why? It’s a little confusing, after all many of us remember our first introductions to recycling education praising plastic as good, and now it’s bad?! Heck, shouldn’t plastic bags be better than plastic bags which involve the cutting of our precious oxygen-giving trees?
    Well, the reason why plastic bags are getting a bad reputation is because plastic is a nonrenewable, petroleum-derived product that takes a really long time to break down. When it does break down it degrades into toxic particles that will contaminate the soil and water supplies, ultimately ending up in our food chain. On the front end, it requires less energy and creates less waste to produce one plastic bag than to produce one paper bag. But, paper bags hold more items, are easier to reuse, and can be recycled easier. Paper bags also won’t leave all of the harmful toxins in the ground that plastic bags will, so they are really less harmful to the earth.
    So, while you should of course be carrying your own reusable shopping bag(s), if you happen to be without one, definitely choose paper over plastic!

2. Default

Though I new much about the hazards cause due to plastic bags, but still I gained so much from this post. Plastic bags are undergoes a very slow process of decomposition and thus cause the deficiency of space, they can'y be burned because they produce toxic gases when burned.
    Last edited by Warzone; 06-09-2012 at 02:15 AM.
    Code:
    http://www.3gorillas.com/major-appliances/dishwashers.html

I don't like plastic bags. right now I use environment friendly bags when I grocery shop.

im not sure with your choice. Plastic bags are harmful and paper kills trees. But one thing Im most sure of, use reuasble cloth bags

One of the biggest problems with plastic bags and plastic in general is that they are building up into at least 2 mountains that I know of. One in the Mexican gulf and the other in the Atlantic. The first was found by accident by a sailor who apparently bumped into it.

My company retails alternatives for all sorts of bags from food to black bin bag. They fully degrade within 18 months.

They are currently only available for UK citizens but if you would like to know more just pm me.

i also don't like plastic bags since very long i m using eco friendly bags........

One of the problems in the UK at least is that the likes of Tesco and other supermarkets pay lip service to degradable bags. They were recently forced to withdraw what they sold as they weren't degradable at all it seems.

If you live in the UK and want proper degradable plastic bags then visit We Go Green were is a wide range of bags from bin bags to food bags which disappear in about 18 - 24 months.

Incidentally, it is possible to buy some pleasant looking (non-plastic) bags which can be fitted into each other for ease of use and carrying. Can't remember the name but they are on the same shop.

Plastic bags are no doubt harmful. Paper bags are not so harmful but they prepared by trees cutting, which also results in loss of tres. The best way to use bags are using recycled bag or eco-friendly bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Warzone View Post
    Though I new much about the hazards cause due to plastic bags, but still I gained so much from this post. Plastic bags are undergoes a very slow process of decomposition and thus cause the deficiency of space, they can'y be burned because they produce toxic gases when burned.
    Though plastic and poly bags are banned by the government because plastic causes such a harmful hazards to us so we don't have to use such type of plastics because when we burn the plastic the toxic gas came out and involve in the air which can be harmful to the human being.

I like the idea of retailers getting rid of plastics bags. More and more often you are seeing people bring their own bags or purchase recyclable bags once in the store. If retailers do not offer plastic bag it forces customers to take responsibility for supplying their own bags and customers may be more likely to reuse bags or use eco-friendly bags which will result in less bags ending up in landfills. Not providing bags to customers may also reduce cost for retailers and customers.
    Kimberly Winston
    www.Greenlivingsavings.com