» Site Navigation

» Find Us On

Thread: Building a Green Home for 100k

Blog Entries

Default Building a Green Home for 100k

I just stumbled across this project in Philly where a developer is building a green home. It looks like it's a townhouse/loft building with two units for 100k each.

They have a pretty good blog with lots of photos of the project and lots of other interesting info.

100K House Project Summary | 100K House Blog
    Greener People for a Greener World TM

Hey Zach,

My husband and I are currently planning a Shipping Container Home. These shipping containers can be bought for around $900 each; each one is 300 s.f. (if you get the 40 ft. by 8 ft. containers).

These shipping containers can be made incredibly green; ours is going to be completely off grid (at least, we're trying to make it that way!). Adding insulation, wind power, composting toilets...it's all relatively easy with shipping containers. And because they're so compact, utility bills are almost non-existent.

The best part is that they're incredibly cheap. 4 containers gives you 1200 s.f. of raw living space, would only cost $3,600. Transporting them to your home site is an expense, but if you live near a coastal city or port it's not as expensive.

I really believe that micro homes, or mini homes (as they're also called) are the wave of the future when it comes to green building. And shipping containers really are a great option; the article I wrote has some amazing pictures of what you can do with them. Very modern, comfortable, and artistic!

Hi

We too in the UK are looking to make homes become more eco friendly.

The Government and City Council are already creating 'eco homes' in several areas within Birmingham, UK. This includes solar panels, glazing and having our own sustainable gardens to.

This 100k housing project sounds great, which I am sure it is.

Blog Entries

Hi TheGreenestDollar,

That's very cool. I saw an Extreme Homes episode on HGTV where someone had built their home out of shipping containers. It was more along the lines of a McMansion but they took 6 shipping containers and stacked them around a big open common living space that wasn't built out of the containers. It would be a great way to build dorms.

Keep us posted on the progress of your home!

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenestDollar View Post
    Hey Zach,

My husband and I are currently planning a Shipping Container Home. These shipping containers can be bought for around $900 each; each one is 300 s.f. (if you get the 40 ft. by 8 ft. containers).

These shipping containers can be made incredibly green; ours is going to be completely off grid (at least, we're trying to make it that way!). Adding insulation, wind power, composting toilets...it's all relatively easy with shipping containers. And because they're so compact, utility bills are almost non-existent.

The best part is that they're incredibly cheap. 4 containers gives you 1200 s.f. of raw living space, would only cost $3,600. Transporting them to your home site is an expense, but if you live near a coastal city or port it's not as expensive.

I really believe that micro homes, or mini homes (as they're also called) are the wave of the future when it comes to green building. And shipping containers really are a great option; the article I wrote has some amazing pictures of what you can do with them. Very modern, comfortable, and artistic!

Blog Entries

I just ran across this post and wondering what the status of your Shipping Container Home is?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenestDollar View Post
    Hey Zach,

There is a group of houses near our area that boasts off being built to be green houses and I think that it is a pretty good idea. The first step they made was to make use of natural air to cool the house as it had parts which had open holes for air to pass through. It was also made of somewhat transition glasses that would let light pass through for natural lighting in the rooms. That is indeed a good idea as they are saving on a lot of electricity consumption.

7. Default

Wow!!! That's good that now people at least car about environment.

8. Default Green prefabricated chalet

For a green home below 100K, far below, consider also the pre-builded wooden-house, which can also be with a very modern design. The best i found around are from France: chalets fabre
    Bye
    HTML Code:
    <a href="http://www.casette-italia.it" title="casette in legno da giardino, garage in legno, case mobili">CASETTE ITALIA</a>