» Site Navigation

» Find Us On

Thread: Presidential Debate: Alternative Energy Discussion

Default Presidential Debate: Alternative Energy Discussion

Last night, another heated debate took place between the Republican and Democratic Presidential candidates, John McCain and Barack Obama. This debate took the form of a town hall meeting at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee and allowed questions from the audience, as well as online. This time, both candidates spoke strongly about their plans for the future, and how alternative energy and environmental issues are going to play a part in that.

While McCain stressed the importance of expanding the US Nuclear Power sector, Obama came out on top, announcing a 10 year plan to eliminate the American public’s dependency on foreign oil, and comparing this goal to the one set by JFK to make it to the moon. Obama said, “Now, when JFK said we’re going to the Moon in 10 years, nobody was sure how to do it, but we understood that, if the American people make a decision to do something, it gets done. So that would be priority number one.”

This bold statement may be one of the reasons that 54% of the viewing public chose Obama as the debate winner, with only 34% behind McCain. Keep reading to see key excerpts from the official transcript that showcase each candidate’s position on environmental topics.

Click here to read the rest of the article.

What do you think about Obama's goal to eliminate the American dependency on foreign oil in 10 years?

Blog Entries

I'm curious to see what other people think about Obama's goal as well. I started another thread a couple days ago to see what people think about Obama's energy plan and how it compares to the Boone Picken's, Al Gore and Google Energy Plans.

http://www.greenerpeople.com/forum/g...rgy-plans.html (Gore, Obama, Pickens Energy Plans?)

I think it's about time we have an inspiring leader like JFK that will help promote innovation and put this country back in good standing with the rest of the world. It's time to start acting like the great country we are and start working to make the world a better place for all.
    Greener People for a Greener World TM

I definitely agree. Even though I'm a Canadian, the decisions made by the next administration will affect my country almost as much as it does yours.

The links to the Boone Pickens and Gore plans were really helpful, I wasn't aware that those had been made yet actually.

Regardless of who it is announcing it, I think it can be done -- especially with the support of the President, and an administration without ties to oil companies.

I am so dis-appointed in the Obama administration for neglecting his commitment to really push for alternative energy development