» Site Navigation

» Find Us On

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Activeion sprayer?

Blog Entries

Default Activeion sprayer?

Hey guys, have you seen this new product called the Activeion sprayer? They claim that it will clean with just plain tap water. It looks like an amazingly promising technology.
    Activeion Cleaning Solutions | Activeion.com
    What do you think?

Not sure... I've never seen one. I would love to see some independent side by side demonstrations with soap or water.

Googling the product turned up this: "Ionized" and alkaline water: snake oil on tap

Blog Entries

Interesting...

"Electrolyzed oxidizing water" ("EO" water)

This term is commonly applied to the products of "water ionizing" machines when the marketing focus is on bactericidal properties, rather than on the false claims about the health benefits of alkaline drinking water.
    As is explained above, these electrolysis devices produce what amounts to a dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite, similar to what can be obtained by diluting some ordinary laundry bleach such as Clorox to the point at which the odor is no longer noticeable. If this is made slightly acidic (by addition of some vinegar or lemon juice, for example), then most of the hypochlorite ion is in the form of hypochlorous acid, which is a bactericide and is the active product produced when chlorine is used to disinfect drinking water.
    The only real issues here are

• Is it worth purchasing an expensive electrolysis device to generate the same mixture than one can get perhaps several hundred gallons of by diluting a $1.49 bottle of home laundry bleach?
    • Is this stuff any more effective for purposes such as disinfecting vegetables and foods than by simply washing with ordinary water, or with water acidified by vinegar or lemon juice?
    • Do you really want your food to come into contact with an oxidizing agent that can react with some of the organic components to produce potentially carcinogenic by-products? (This is, of course, one argument against the use of chlorine to disinfect waters containing a lot of organic material)?

So while "EOW" may have some legitimacy as a disinfectant, I consider it somewhat deceptive when promoters tout it (as some do) as a special, "chemical-free" disinfectant. See also this Food Quality article.

Electrolytic "bleach generators" are legitimate devices for use in industrial and institutional settings in which large quantities disinfectant are required. They are considered a "green" alternative to shipping or handling chlorine gas (dangerous) or hypochlorite solutions (mostly water, and thus heavy). In early 2009, a widely-reprinted article by an LA Times reporter touted the use of machines that produce this "miracle water". But for home use, it hardly seems economical; one could probably buy a supply of laundry bleach that would last several lifetimes for the cost of a "water ionizer"!
    Tennant's untenable claims

The Tennant Company is a long-established and reputable manufacturer of industrial cleaning equipment. It is sad to see them descend into silly junk science in pushing their new "ech2o" technology which they say
    works by unlocking the vast amounts of energy stored in the water molecule H2O...creating highly oxygenated micro-bubbles. ...the oxygenated water is sent through a water cell where an electric current is applied. Flowing out of the water cell is highly charged, acidic and alkaline water with all the attributes of a powerful cleaner. [link]
    Give me a break! "Vast amounts of energy stored in H2O"? "Highly oxygenated"? (How highly?) It sounds impressive, but what does oxygen have to do with cleaning, other than reducing the water surface tension by a minute amount, probably less than is produced by the electrolytes they have to add to electrolyze the water? And how can water (or any bulk matter) violate the electroneutrality principle and carry a significant electric charge? Finally, have any of these people passed high school chemistry, where they would learn what happens when you mix "acidic and alkaline water"? Their patent application, with its references to EOW, describes their "electrolytic sparging" device which suggests to me that this is just another form of a "water ionizer".
    Maybe their new machine does clean better and greener, but it is too bad that their marketing people feel the need to propagate pseudoscience; Tennant's engineers must be cringing at having to be associated with this kind of garbage.
    Active ions clean up!

The dubious Tennant technology described above bears a strong similarity to to this ActiveIon™ hand-held cleaning device which "frees you from chemicals". Their "Science of Activeion™" page says that the device adds an electrical charge to tap water, resulting in an "oxygen-rich mixture of positive and negative nanobubbles" which "attracts dirt like a magnet". But another page tells us that the charge is applied to the dirt, breaking it down and loosening it from the cleaning surface. I have no idea of whether the product is any more effective than an ordinary detergent or whether it will work with pure water, but the rather dubious electrochemistry they invoke does leave me highly skeptical.

Read the full story "Ionized" and alkaline water: snake oil on tap
    Greener People for a Greener World TM

Is the first time i see that, is really a cool product. The Eco friendly lifestyle will bring more products in the future very interesting like that.
    Start a Green Living Now!

I was involved in a third party test of the Activeion, it clean was well as tab water. The testing the document is done with microfiber cleaning clothes. The cleaning benifit they claim is not coming from their device it comes from the microfiber cloth. Microfiber cloth is the real Green technology. Active Ion = Snake Oil.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lshark1800 View Post
    I was involved in a third party test of the Activeion, it clean was well as tab water. The testing the document is done with microfiber cleaning clothes. The cleaning benifit they claim is not coming from their device it comes from the microfiber cloth. Microfiber cloth is the real Green technology. Active Ion = Snake Oil.
    Let me guess; you work for a chemical company? You obviously came in here to dispute this great new product because your industry stands to lose what; billions? Trillions?

The world will be a better place when everyone is cleaning with our worlds more abundant natural resource rather then with chemicals.

Did you read my whole post? I am saying you can clean with tab water and a microfiber cloth that can be bought for $3 and is reuseable. ActiveIon is a compay trying to make $ off the green movement. Believe it our not thier are companies that will try to make $ off the green movement in a dishonest fasion. Don't believe me? Test it yourself! Here's how:
    1. Make some testing soil. Take a small amount of soil (earth) and mix with enough water so it can be brushed.
    2. Brush out on a smooth light colored surface. Light colored kitchen countertops work well. Let dry for 24 hours.
    3. Use the active ion to clean on spot with a cotton towel.
    4. Clean another section with tap water and a cotton towel.
    5. clean third section with cotton towel and a little detergent (dawn is good for this) and a cotton towel.
    6. clean forth section with tap water and a microfiber towel.

This is not as scientific it should be but results should be pretty consistent, here's what you'll see:
    The dawn solution and the microfiber with tap water clean at an equal level.
    The Active Ion and water along clean (or don't clean) at an equal level.

By the way thank you for the personal attack. A great way to say welcome to our community. My reason be being here is to learn and share what I have learned. I join because I'm trying to find a informaion on how to build some solar heat collectors for my farm. Hopeing someone had some knowledge they could share with me, and I'm willing to pass along all I have learned in my pursuit of a greener less energy reliant lifestyle. Added the ActiveIon post because I see how they are trying to decieve the green community.

Blog Entries

You obviously know nothing about the technology behind Activeion and the other ways that this technology has been used in other cleaning processes for years.
    It's a proven technology that they are just now bringing to a hand held sprayer.

My neighbor gave me a field test unit over a year ago and I've been using it every day to clean my entire house. I would never go back to chemicals, and plain water does NOT do the same thing in bathrooms and floors and sticky countertops.
    They now even have one that claims to kill H1N1 and similar viruses and bacteria. Now I'm not sure how it does this, but if it does, I know that normal tap water doesn't.

eminems - you have two post which should more like ads for Activeion. Guessing you either sell for or work for activeion. Know you will not believe anything I say about this technology after all I'm mearly a degreed Chemist who has a Phd in Envirnomental Science. So watch You Tube will conduct my lab test and film them for posting on You Tube. Then you will see this thing dosen't clean any better than tab water. Actually I may add DI water to my test to show it cleans even better then the Activeion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lshark1800 View Post
    eminems - you have two post which should more like ads for Activeion. Guessing you either sell for or work for activeion. Know you will not believe anything I say about this technology after all I'm mearly a degreed Chemist who has a Phd in Envirnomental Science. So watch You Tube will conduct my lab test and film them for posting on You Tube. Then you will see this thing dosen't clean any better than tab water. Actually I may add DI water to my test to show it cleans even better then the Activeion.
    My neighbor knows someone who works there and it's how I got my sprayer.
    Will your water kill H1N1?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast